Thursday, July 7, 2016

And then there are the parents...

SCENE 1

(Phone Rings)

Camp Manager:  Hello How can I help you?

Father: Yes I believe you called and said my daughter forgot her lunch?

Camp Manager: Yes that's correct, would someone be available to come by and bring one to her?

Father:  I am not sure...  We are still deciding if we want to bring her one or teach her a lesson. We are trying to teach her to be independent.  She's 9.  She should remember these things.

Camp Manager: Um... (appalled and taken aback)  Can you hold please? (Puts phone on hold.  Turns to me.)  Can we not allow a student to eat? 

Me:  WHAT?

CM: The parent said he wants to teach her a lesson and not bring food.

Me;  UM... NO!

CM:  Thats what I thought too.  (Picks back up Phone)  Hello?  Hello?  (the father has hung up.)


SCENE 2

(I pick up phone and dial Father)

Me:  Hello.  I was just checking back in.  My Camp Manager said you were not sure if you were going to bring your daughter a lunch to "teach her a lesson"

Father;  That's correct.

Me: I cannot allow a student to go 7 hours in camp with out food.  We can buy her a lunch and then have you reimburse us or you can bring her a lunch.  

Father:....

Me:  Have you decided what you would like to do?

Father:  Still deciding.

Me;  Thanks (hangs up phone)


SCENE 3

(Phone rings)

Me:  Hello, How can I help you?

Mother:  I just wanted say thank you... You had spoke with my husband and he said that you would buy my daughter a lunch.

Me:  Yes.  He said something to effect that he wasn't going to bring her lunch to teach her a lesson and we cannot have students without food for all day. 

Mother:  Yes and she is the girl who forgets everything, so this might really be a good life lesson for her. 

Me;......

Mother:  But I will bring you cash for the food this afternoon...

Me:.... Thanks.

Mother:  Ok Thanks BYE!


PARENTING TICKETS ALL AROUND!

1 comment: